Passengers with disabilities
Пустой местозаполнитель не отображается в "Активном" режиме
Across the world without barriers
The airline seeks to attend to the needs of all its passengers, providing opportunities for the unimpeded use of air transport.
We offer a variety of special services most adapted to the needs of persons with disabilities and other special needs.
Special services are available upon request submitted in due time when booking and ticketing for travel.
In case ordered services are unavailable or the service request is submitted later than the deadline established by the airline, we will do our best to provide you with the necessary assistance; however, we may not guarantee the provision of services.
When preparing for your trip, please, take time to get acquainted with regulations, the airline’s services and other useful information.
Ticket reservation and purchase
+7 (495) 223-55-55 for calls within Moscow;
8-800-444-55-55 (for calls within Russia);
Russia *555 for calls on MTC, Beeline, Megafon networks;
Calls are free.
In sales offices of the Company and our agents, persons with disabilities are served out of turn.
In accordance with the legislation of the Russian Federation,* during reservation and ticketing for travel, passengers are required to disclose:
- any of their disabilities and special needs;
- presence/absence of an accompanying person or a guide dog;
- number, size, weight and other specifications of individual mobility aids (including the availability and technical specifications of the battery for a wheelchair or an oxygen concentrator) to be carried onboard the aircraft.
* The Air Code of the Russian Federation.
* General Rules for Air Carriage of Passengers, Baggage and Cargo and Requirements to Handling Passengers, Shippers and Consignees approved by Order No. 82 of the Ministry of Transport of the Russian Federation dated June 28, 2007.
* Procedure for Handling Passengers with Disabilities and Other Special Needs at Airports and Aboard Aircraft, approved Order No. 24 of the Ministry of Transport of Russia dated February 15, 2016.
36 hours prior confirmation is required for the carriage of:
- a wheelchair equipped with a battery;
- a guide dog for visually impaired passengers;
- a portable oxygen concentrator.
72 hours prior confirmation is required for the carriage of:
- an oxygen cylinder by passengers who require oxygen therapy for medical reasons for the entire duration of the flight or other medical equipment;
- for reservation of a stretcher to transport a critically ill passenger.
When booking your travel, airport escort services are booked for the following areas:
- check-in and baggage check-in, pre-flight inspection, border and customs clearance, boarding and deplaning the aircraft, and baggage claim on arrival.
This service may be provided to passengers on wheelchairs who are unable to climb up and down the ramp, experience difficulty when moving over long distances or need assistance in transportation to their seat in the cabin.
This service is provided by the airport handling company free of charge.
The presence of an accompanying person providing care to the passenger during the flight is mandatory in the following cases:
Passengers recognized judicially as incapable, affected by mental disability/intelligence disorder or experiencing difficulties in spatial orientation, in controlling their behavior, in understanding the instructions and recommendations of crew members and in need of constant supervision and care may travel only when accompanied by an adult passenger capable of ensuring the safety of such incapacitated passenger and that of others.
In addition to the normal free baggage allowance, passengers are provided with the opportunity to carry:
- a wheelchair or another mobility aid, such as a special purpose wheelchair, provided it is used by the passenger in flight;
- crutches, foldable walkers, a cane, an oxygen cylinder, an oxygen concentrator;
- a guide dog for a visually impaired passenger at the presentation of a certificate confirming such passenger’s disability and documents confirming that the dog has received an appropriate training. Regulations for the transportation of a guide dog in the cabin may be found here.
A wheelchair is transported in the baggage compartment, while crutches, canes, foldable walkers, oxygen cylinders, and oxygen concentrators are carried in the cabin.
Transporting a wheelchair
A powered wheelchair has to be checked in as baggage at the oversized baggage check-in desk.
For safety reasons, during the transportation of a powered wheelchair, the battery shall be disconnected, and the battery clamp insulated to prevent the occurrence of an accidental short-circuit.
A powered wheelchair’s battery terminals shall be disconnected by an accompanying person or by an employee of the handling company on the request of the passenger and under their supervision.
For the staff to assist in preparing the wheelchair for transportation when checking-in baggage, passengers using a powered wheelchair are required* to carry a set of wrenches/devices to disconnect the wheelchair’s battery terminals, as well as packaging for the battery consistent with Technical Instructions for the Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air, ICAO Doc 9284 AN/905.
* Procedure for Handling Passengers with Disabilities and Other Special Needs at Airports and Aboard Aircraft, approved Order No. 24 of the Ministry of Transport of Russia dated February 15, 2016
Wheelchairs on lithium ion batteries shall be accepted for carriage on the condition that the capacity of a single battery does not exceed 300 Wh or the capacity of any two batteries does not exceed 160 Wh each. Wheelchairs on lithium ion batteries with a capacity exceeding 300 Wh shall not be accepted as passengers’ baggage.* Please refer to cargo transportation agents for terms of carriage.
* Technical Instructions for the Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air, ICAO Doc 9284 AN/905
An employee of the airline or the handling company checking-in passengers and baggage shall ensure that the battery corresponds to the information provided at time of reservation. If the battery type does not correspond to the type previously indicated, the battery shall be inspected by experts in aviation security.
Manually operated (mechanical) wheelchair
A wheelchair has to be checked-in as baggage at the oversized baggage check-in desk.
Passengers using a manually operated mechanical wheelchair may book Delivery at Aircraft service at the airport check-in desk that enables them to remain in the wheelchair during airport check-in procedures until boarding the aircraft, hand over the wheelchair into the baggage and recover it immediately after exiting the aircraft.
If you wish to use this service, please inform the staff at check-in desk, because in this case the wheelchair has to be labelled with a special tag (DAA – Delivery at Aircraft).
This service is not available in the following airports: Hamburg (HAM), Hannover (HAJ), Dusseldorf (DUS), Stockholm (ARN), and Tehran (THR).
Transportation on a stretcher
Transportation of passengers on a stretcher is only available in the Economy Class cabin.
Transportation of a passenger on a stretcher will be charged at the applicable fare rate and two full economy class fares valid for 1 year. A stretcher for the transportation of a passenger is provided by the airline at no cost.
Registration for travel shall be carried out after the confirmation of a relevant request. Medical passengers in need of care shall be transported accompanied by medical staff.
Pre- and post-flight passenger service at the airport shall be rendered by the airport health center. For servicing procedures, inquire at the airports of departure and arrival.
Oxygen equipment may be carried by passengers who require oxygen therapy for medical reasons for the entire duration of the flight.
Only oxygen cylinders with the weight of up to 5 kg shall be accepted for carriage in the cabin of the aircraft. When booking your travel, please indicate cylinder numbers, date of manufacture and the date of the latest technical inspection.
Portable oxygen concentrators must have battery charge sufficient for the duration of the flight.
Check-in and boarding
Depending on the regulations of a specific airport, the following check-in options are available:
- mobile check-in;
- self-service check-in kiosks;
- online check-in;
- check-in desk;
- check-in through the airport health center (available for passengers requiring medical care, passengers accompanied by medical stuff and medical patients transported on a stretcher).
We recommend that you arrive for check-in at the airport well in advance, preferably two hours before departure time indicated in the schedule.
In the case of self-service check-in, wheelchairs shall be checked-in at the oversized baggage check-in desk.
In the case of check-in through the airport health center, refer to the airport’s website for arrival times and details of the handling procedure.
At check-in, the passenger shall be assigned a seat in accordance with their wishes subject to the availability of preferred seating arrangement at the time of request and with due account for safety requirements. A seat in the first row of the Economy Class cabin with an increased distance between rows or a Space+ enhanced comfort seat with extra legroom may be secured at check-in at the airport check-in desk.
* Passengers with disabilities may not be assigned Space+ seats located near emergency exits.
An accompanying person providing care to the passenger in flight shall be checked-in together with the passenger such person accompanies. The accompanying person is assigned a seat adjacent to the passenger’s seat.
At check-in desks, disabled persons and persons with special needs are served out of turn
In Sheremetyevo Airport, special desks are available to serve passengers with disabilities:
in Terminal D
- No. 16 (for domestic flights);
- No. 62 (for international flights).
Desk No. 158 in Terminal F.
For layouts of airport terminals and services available at the airport, please refer to the website of Sheremetyevo airport.
Please, refer to a check-in desk to advise the staff of your arrival to the airport for escort services booked during your reservation.
You are kindly asked to arrive at the boarding gate no later than the boarding start time specified in the boarding pass.
Aboard the aircraft
Aboard the aircraft, flight attendants will
- provide you assistance in accommodation in the cabin;
- inform you of the configuration and outfit of a passenger seat and location of toilet facilities;
- provide personal coaching to passengers with visual or hearing impairments on ways of evacuation and life-saving equipment;
- inform you of the selection of food and beverages during meals and open the packaging for you when so requested.
Passenger seats of our aircraft are equipped with armrests that allow easy movement of passengers with reduced mobility from the wheelchair to the passenger seat.
On long-haul flights (operated on B777 and A330 aircraft), flight attendants will, on request, provide passengers with reduced mobility with a special wheelchair for visiting the bathroom. Please, check with flight attendants for the possibility to use an onboard wheelchair on A320/321, B737 and RRJ-95B aircraft.
Before arrival at the destination airport, flight attendants will inform you about the procedure for deplaning and recovery of your wheelchair and will help you to collect your personal belongings.
The duties of the airline staff do not include the following services:
- hygiene procedures and personal care;
- lifting or carrying a passenger;
- care associated with feeding passengers or taking medications by them;
- administration of medications;
- medical care;
- cleaning up after a guide dog escorting a passenger.
Service after arrival at the destination airport
Disabled passengers and passengers with special needs are deplaned immediately after all other passengers deplaned and will be assisted by an employee of the airport handling company to get to the wheelchair provided by the airport.
Such employee of the airport handling company will assist a passenger in carrying their hand baggage, personal belongings and claim of his/her baggage.
Powered wheelchairs are received in the baggage claim area.
Passengers using a mechanical wheelchair who booked Delivery at Aircraft service at check-in will get their wheelchair immediately after exiting the cabin of the aircraft. At the airports of Hamburg (HAM), Hannover (HAJ), Dusseldorf (DUS), Stockholm (ARN), and Tehran (THR), wheelchairs may be received only in the baggage claim area.
Assistance associated with moving the passenger to their wheelchair and ensuring the operating condition of the wheelchair will be provided by an employee of the airport handling company.
On flights originating/terminating in the USA
For service requests or claims, please contact complaints resolution officials (CRO) at:
CROUSA@aeroflot.ru (when departing from the USA);
CROSVO@aeroflot.ru (when departing from Russia)
The airline’s right to deny carriage to passengers
The airline may refuse to transport a passenger in the cases defined by the legislation of the Russian Federation or in cases of breach of federal aviation rules or regulations established by the airline:
- if a passenger’s health condition requires special arrangements for transportation by air or threatens the safety of passengers or other persons, which is confirmed by medical documents, as well as causes disorder and unavoidable inconvenience to others;
- if the transportation of a wheelchair has not been booked during reservation and purchase of your ticket;
- if the transportation of a passenger requiring oxygen therapy with the use of an oxygen cylinder throughout the flight has not been confirmed within the prescribed period;
- if the transportation of a patient on a stretcher is not paid for in accordance with rates established by PJSC Aeroflot and/or confirmed within the prescribed period;
- if a visually impaired passenger accompanied by a guide dog in travel fails to produce documents proving his/her disability and/or documents confirming the special training of the guide dog;
- if the carriage of the guide dog was not agreed upon with the carrier within the prescribed period, and if such guide dog is transported without a muzzle, a collar or a leash;
- in other instances consistent with the existing aviation legislation of the Russian Federation and PJSC Aeroflot regulations.
Please refer to PJSC Aeroflot Rules for the Transportation of Passengers and Baggage by Air for further information on the carriage of passengers with disabilities.