Aeroflot joins SkyTeam Cargo
Aeroflot – the oldest Russian airline – was established in 1923 with it’s main hub in Moscow “Sheremetyevo” airport. Aeroflot joined the global airline alliance SkyTeam Cargo during the Cargo Conference held in Munich in May, 2011 and became the ninth airline to join the global air cargo alliance.
During the Conference the alliance Management pointed out that “Aeroflot has been an important member of SkyTeam’s passenger alliance for many years and we welcome its decision to join the cargo part of the alliance, extending the strategic growth and network cooperation opportunities SkyTeam offers to our customers”.
“Aeroflot’s prime position in the Russian market, and central hub connecting Europe to the Middle East and Asia, will allow SkyTeam Cargo to benefit from growing world air cargo traffic demands,” said Mr. Oleg Korolev of Aeroflot.
Membership with the alliance allows Aeroflot to:
- Harmonize its cargo product portfolio with cargo products and services of the other alliance members,
- Gain access to premium ground handling facilities at major cargo terminals worldwide,
- Expand its own cargo network by interlining cargo delivery with the other members of the alliance,
- Cut operating costs through joint purchases of services with other partners and the use of E-freight technologies, as well as
- Strengthen positions of the Aeroflot brand on the global cargo market.
Aeroflot launched SkyTeam Cargo products – Dimension (general cargo), Variation (specialty cargo), and Equation (express cargo) – and harmonize cargo carriage and handling practices with the SkyTeam Cargo standards which are mandatory for all other alliance members.
For more detailed information, please, refer to the Alliance’s official page.