SkyTeam: A Responsible Alliance
As a leading alliance in the global airline industry, SkyTeam strives to achieve high performance, not only from a business standpoint, but also from a social and environmental perspective. Therefore, SkyTeam members drafted and approved a Corporate Social Responsibility Statement at the IATA General Meeting in 2008. This document sets out leading industry standards regarding environmental protection and sustainable economic growth.
Aeroflot PJSC's environmental policy is aimed at enhancing the energy and environmental efficiency of the company's end product: the carriage of passengers, baggage, mail and cargo. The policy's main focus is to significantly improve aircraft fuel efficiency, thereby reducing the environmental impact and cutting a major operating expense.
Aeroflot PJSC, as the undisputed leader of Russia's commercial aviation, recognises its great responsibility towards society and future generations, and strives to ensure environmental sustainability in everything it does. This is an integral part of Aeroflot's wide-ranging social responsibility programme, which is a key principle in the company's operations.
To achieve its environmental policy goals, Aeroflot PJSC has adopted the following commitments:
- To maintain an environmental management system that will help us ensure that our facilities and operations comply with the highest international environmental standards.
- To reduce energy consumption by introducing resource-efficient methods and technologies, namely:
- upgrading our fleet by replacing outdated energy-intensive aircraft with more fuel-efficient ones;
- optimisation of the airline network and introduction of new piloting techniques enabling lower emissions of noise and pollutants from aircraft engines;
- continuous efforts aimed at increasing the thermal and energy efficiency of our operations.
- To manage waste in order to minimise its environmental impact, with an emphasis on recycling as the most efficient waste management method.
- To monitor and analyse the company’s operations and technologies to identify new opportunities for improving environmental performance.
- To use environmental efficiency indicators as one of the key criteria for selecting suppliers and contractors.
- To raise the awareness of Aeroflot PJSC employees regarding their environmental protection responsibilities, to motivate them to use all resources more responsibly and to develop a recycling culture.
The developed and implemented energy efficiency action plan will allow Aeroflot PJSC to save 1.5 million tons of jet fuel per year and to reduce its consumption rate by 43.6 % by 2020.
Aeroflot PJSC's management undertakes to comply with statutory and other environmental requirements that apply to the company's operations, to provide resources to implement the environmental policy and improve the environmental management system.
Aeroflot PJSC's environmental management system has been certified for compliance with the ISO 14001 standard from 2013.
Aeroflot recognises its social responsibility, which it demonstrates through caring about environmental protection and actively working in this field, and is committed to sustainable development principles.
Aeroflot PJSC's environmental policy is aimed at enhancing the energy and environmental efficiency of the company's end product: the carriage of passengers, baggage, mail and cargo.
The airline has voluntarily implemented and certified the Environmental Management System.
Fuel efficiency management is a company priority. Aeroflot is committed to developing and improving management strategies, systems and methods aimed at guaranteeing the highest level of flight safety, compliance with national and international standards and ensuring economic efficiency.
Aeroflot has introduced a corporate GHG emission management system, the main task of which is to monitor direct and indirect GHG emissions, as well as prepare and verify GHG emission reports in accordance with the requirements of the ISO 14064 international standard.
Aeroflot PJSC uses a CO2 emissions monitoring and recording system which ensures compliance with national and European systems for monitoring, reporting and controlling GHG emissions. Aeroflot PJSC monitors and records total CO2 emissions on all routes, in compliance with the provisions of EU ETS (European Union Emissions Trading System), CORSIA (Carbon Offsetting and Reduction Scheme for International Aviation) and the national system for monitoring, reporting and controlling GHG emissions in the Russian Federation.
Ambitious measures have been implemented for reducing CO2 emissions as part of the Increased Fuel Efficiency Programme, as well as the Energy Saving and Increased Environmental Efficiency Programme of Aeroflot PJSC to 2020.
To implement the Carbon Offset Programme, Aeroflot PJSC has introduced an online CO2 emissions calculator based on the aviation industry's best practices and in accordance with current ICAO and IATA procedures.
The online CO2 emissions calculator available on Aeroflot PJSC's website currently is only for informational purposes regarding the level of greenhouse gas emissions per passenger on a selected flight.
In the future this environmental initiative from Aeroflot will allow passengers to offset their flight's carbon footprint, determined by using the online calculator, by making a voluntary contribution to supporting environmental projects aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions (tree planting, protecting forests from bark beetles, clean renewable energy, cleaning waters, etc.).
To minimise environmental impact, Aeroflot PJSC continues to improve its waste management system, focusing on recycling as the most efficient waste management method.