PJSC Aeroflot ecological policy is aimed at development of energetic and ecological efficiency of the passengers, baggage, post and cargo transportation. Main trend of the policy is to improve aircrafts’ fuel efficiency, which allows to decrease environmental stress along with operational expenses reduction.
Aeroflot, as the leader of Russia’s civil aviation, realizes its great social responsibility, and strives to secure a stable ecological balance in all activity areas. This forms an integral part of large-scale civil responsibility program, being a basic element of the company’s operations.
To achieve its environmental objectives Aeroflot is committed to completion of the following tasks:
Implementation of ecological management system, which leads the operation facilities to the usage of highest international standards in environmental protection.
- Air fleet modernization – replacement of old power-consuming aircraft types with more energy-efficient ones.
- Reduction of energy consumption by introducing resource saving methods and technologies.
- Airline network optimization and introduction of new piloting techniques enabling lower emissions of noise and other pollutants from aircraft engines.
- Waste management in order to minimize the environmental impact of waste, with the emphasis on recycling as the most efficient way of waste utilization.
- Monitoring and analysis of the company’s operations and technologies to elicit new ways of environmental performance improvement.
- Usage of environmental efficiency indices as one of the key criteria for selection of suppliers and contractors.
- Improvement of the staff’s awareness of the responsibilities in the environment protection sphere, provision of incentives for a more responsible consumption of all resources, developing a culture of recycling.
The developed and introduced energy efficiency action plan allows PJSC Aeroflot to save 1,5 tons of jet fuel and to reduce its specific consumption by 43,6 % before 2020.
PJSC Aeroflot management commits to follow statutory and other requirements and provide resources for ecological policy realization and ecological management system enhancement.
Aeroflot plays an active role in its community through on-going support of charitable organisations and community events. Russia's Corporate Social Responsibility Index taking the 4th position on the list.
Aeroflot plays an active role in its community through on-going support of social programs, charitable organizations and community events. Aeroflot is actively involved with a variety of social initiatives, including:
- The Flat Rate Program that ensures affordable air travel between Central Russia and its far-flung regions and cities like the Far East, Kaliningrad and Simferopol, thereby promoting geographical mobility of people.
- An international program which facilitates air travel for war veterans during the annual Victory Day celebrations in May.
- Regular assistance in transportation of gravely ill children to overseas medical institutions for treatment unavailable in their home communities.
- Miles of Charity Program, a joint project of Aeroflot and Podari Zhizn (Grant a Life) Foundation, which allows frequent flyers to donate their bonus miles to seriously ill children.
- Aeroflot supports the Train of Hope, a national charity action for orphans, by providing free air transportation for prospective adoptive parents.
- Throughout its history, Aeroflot has traditionally supported sports. It has the status of General Partner of the Russian Olympic Committee and General Partner of the Russian Olympic Team as well as of General Partner of the Russian Paralympic Committee and General Partner of the Russian Paralympic Team. Aeroflot is an official sponsor and carrier of CSKA Moscow professional football club as well as an official carrier of CSKA Moscow professional basketball club. It is an official carrier of the Russian national basketball teams and an official carrier of the Russian national cycling team. Aeroflot also sponsors the Volleyball Federation of Russia. Aeroflot is an official sponsor of the Russian Federation of Acrobatic Rock’n’Roll in the framework of international competitions. It is also an official sponsor of the Russian Golf Association in official all-Russian competitions. In 2013, Aeroflot became an official carrier of Manchester United football club. The company sponsors the world’s top open chess tournament, the Aeroflot Open.
- Russia’s Ministry for Extraordinary Situations (EMERCOM). Aeroflot works closely with the Russian government to provide aid and evacuation services to people affected by conflict or natural disasters.
- Aeroflot has its Public Council which consists of prominent public figures and performs advisory functions to the company in making its policy best suited to the needs and interests of society.
- As a major international airline, Aeroflot is a leading employer providing over 21,000 jobs in Russia and at its operations abroad. It remains committed to investing in its staff and supports a progressive work environment with competitive salaries and benefit packages under a collective bargaining agreement which is in effect until December 1, 2017.