SkyTeam: Responsible Alliance
As a leading alliance in the global airline industry, we recognize that operating at such a high level comes with duties and responsibilities. That is why SkyTeam member airlines have drafted a Corporate Social Responsibility Statement. This statement sets out the SkyTeam commitments. We want to ensure that our development as an alliance aims for high performance not only from a financial standpoint, but also from a social and environmental perspective.
PJSC Aeroflot ecological policy is aimed at development of energetic and ecological efficiency of the passengers, baggage, post and cargo transportation. Main trend of the policy is to improve aircrafts’ fuel efficiency, which allows to decrease environmental stress along with operational expenses reduction.
Aeroflot, as the leader of Russia’s civil aviation, realizes its great social responsibility, and strives to secure a stable ecological balance in all activity areas. This forms an integral part of large-scale civil responsibility program, being a basic element of the company’s operations.
To achieve its environmental objectives Aeroflot is committed to completion of the following tasks:
Implementation of ecological management system, which leads the operation facilities to the usage of highest international standards in environmental protection.
- Air fleet modernization – replacement of old power-consuming aircraft types with more energy-efficient ones.
- Reduction of energy consumption by introducing resource saving methods and technologies.
- Airline network optimization and introduction of new piloting techniques enabling lower emissions of noise and other pollutants from aircraft engines.
- Waste management in order to minimize the environmental impact of waste, with the emphasis on recycling as the most efficient way of waste utilization.
- Monitoring and analysis of the company’s operations and technologies to elicit new ways of environmental performance improvement.
- Usage of environmental efficiency indices as one of the key criteria for selection of suppliers and contractors.
- Improvement of the staff’s awareness of the responsibilities in the environment protection sphere, provision of incentives for a more responsible consumption of all resources, developing a culture of recycling.
The developed and introduced energy efficiency action plan allows PJSC Aeroflot to save 1,5 tons of jet fuel and to reduce its specific consumption by 43,6 % before 2020.
PJSC Aeroflot management commits to follow statutory and other requirements and provide resources for ecological policy realization and ecological management system enhancement.
The atmosphere protection
For the last hundred years environmental pollution increased. Scientists say that more than a million tons of silicium, one and half million tons of arsenic, about a million tons of cobalt were brought to the air during this period.
Air transport contributes greatly to this matter. Considering its technological particularities, noxious emissions of air service have greater influence on the atmosphere. That is why environment protection from negative effects of air service is essential in the whole world. Though an exhaust cumulative effect is not that much (for a region), it’s very affecting near airports.
Also jet engines have a visible smoke tail during take-off and landing. The most fuel consumptive is taxiing before and after flight (approx. 22min.). The amount of unburned fuel brought to the air is much higher than during flight. Not only engine operation improvements help (fuel injection, air enrichment in the combustion zone, using of fuel additives, water injection), but reduction of engines’ running time while taxiing (eight-fold exhaust emission decrease)
Decrease of environmental pollution is supported by societies’ fuel saving measures and usage of modern fuel efficient planes. Almost all Aeroflot planes comply with ICAO noise and exhaust standards. According to the decree № 889 (04.06.2008) “About measures that increase ecological and energetic efficiency of Russian economy”, “Energy saving and ecological efficiency increase program till 2020 was developed for Aeroflot”.
A huge amount of exhaust gas is brought by ground means of transportation in airports. Instrumental monitoring and adjustment of fuel systems for vehicles are performed on regular basis. For purposes of harmful environmental influence reduction JSC “Aeroflot” developed a project of maximum allowable exhaust rate for stationary equipment in Sheremetyevo airport.
As a result of this activities, discharge of emissions in the air was 32,083 tons of polluting matters. Biggest part were volatile organic compounds – 82%, 14% - carbon oxide.
Protection of water resources
The world’s supply of water is huge. However, it’s salt water of the World Ocean. Fresh water supply is not as high as people need. Lack of water is an issue in some places on the Earth. It’s needed for irrigation, industry, drinking and household requirements. Consumptive use of water increased tenfold for the past years.
Ecological balance support along with satisfying the requirements of water for people and public economy can be reached with improvement of water quality and river water regimes, rational water usage and recreation of water resources. p>
To follow the strategy of environmental protection Aeroflot takes this measures:
- Bezymyanniy creek of Klyazma river was given Aeroflot into use for waste water from Melkisarovo office;
- Organization of regular waste water volume measurements;
- Control over quantity and quality of waste water;
- Control over waste treatment facilities.
Onrush of technological progress and world’s energetic potential leads to increased harm influence on environment. Continuous growth of industrial and household waste and its illegal burial became dangerous, especially because of recalcitrant and toxic compound in materials.
As a result of production and commercial operations of JSC “Aeroflot” only 0,3% of waste is highly hazardous, 14% - moderately hazardous and 85,6% - low-hazard or non-hazard.
To minimize the harmful influence Aeroflot uses:
- Establishment of waste limitation standards (for Sheremetyevo, Aeroflot’s medical center and Melkisarovo office);.
- Monitoring of temporary waste storage sites;
- Control over waste recycling;
- Recycling of anti-icing fluid;
- In 2012 Aeroflot signed an agreement with Kazan National Research Technological University to develop anti-icing fluid of new generation. Research will allow not to purchase the fluid from foreign manufacturers and to solve environmental protection issues. Home produced anti-icing fluid is 10-15% cheaper and is based on non-toxic monopropylene.