Aeroflot, as the leader of Russia’s civil aviation, realizes its great responsibility before the society and future generations, and strives to secure a sound ecological balance in all its activity areas. This forms an integral part of its large-scale civil responsibility program, being a basic elements of the company’s operations.
To achieve its environmental objectives Aeroflot is committed to completion of the following tasks:
- Air fleet modernization through replacing old power-consuming aircraft types with more energy-efficient ones
- Reduction of energy consumption by introducing resource saving methods and technologies
- Airline network optimization and introduction of new piloting techniques enabling lower emissions of noise and other pollutants from aircraft engines
- Introduction of new and improving of the current technologies and materials to provide ecology friendly aircraft maintenance
- Waste management in order to minimize the environmental impact of waste, with the emphasis on recycling as the most efficient way of waste utilization.
- Monitoring and analysis of the company’s operations and technologies to elicit new ways of environmental performance improvement
- Usage of environmental efficiency indices as one of the key criteria for selection of suppliers and contractors
- Bringing the company’s facilities and operations in compliance with the highest international standards of environmental protection
- Improvement of the staff’s awareness of the responsibilities in the environment protection sphere, provision of incentives for a more responsible consumption of all resources, developing a culture of recycling.
To complete the above tasks, the company has implemented and is developing a system of environmental management complying with ISO 14000 series standards, which provides the company’s compliance with the requirements of the Russian and international legislation in the sphere, and promotes the optimal choices of ways to achieve the environmental policy goals.
As a full member of the SkyTeam alliance, Aeroflot has developed its environmental policy in accordance with the Statement of Corporate Social Responsibility adopted by IATA (International Air Transport Association) in June 2008. The document sets the state-of-the-industry standards in environment protection, improvement of social responsibility and provision of economic prosperity.
Aeroflot’s environmental policy was developed in a strict accordance with the IATA strategy aimed at a reduced negative environmental impact of the air transport industry.
Aeroflot's Ecological Management and Control System incorporates up-to-date technologies and standards. The company has adopted Energy and Ecological Efficiency Programme which is in full compliance with IATA's ecological strategy.
The IATA strategy is being implemented along the four main lines:
- Fleet modernization and replenishment;
- Improvement of ground-based operations and procedures (e.g., takeoff and approach stages, toolkit of flight planning);
- Infrastructure improvement (passenger terminal zones);
- Economic problem solving (e.g., tax remissions for investments in aircrafts and aviation equipment with high fuel efficiency).
As both part of the IATA strategy implementation and Aeroflot’s own environmental policy, in 2007 the company introduced the system for environmental management and operational control. Practically all Aeroflot air fleet complies with the standards of ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) for emissions of noise and other pollutants to the atmosphere.
The company is currently completing the introduction of e-ticket system, allowing it to escape the paper technology of air ticket issuing, and thus save vast areas of woodland. Aeroflot has developed a program for the switch to the usage of environmentally friendly and easily recycled materials in passenger servicing.
The complex of energy saving measures the company has developed and is implementing will enable it to save up to 1.5 million tons of jet fuel a year and reduce its specific consumption by 43.6% in the period of 2007- 2020. The company is committed to its policy of openness about its intentions, efforts and achievements in environment protection. Corporate awareness of the company’s environmental policies is achieved by means of corporate media and internal regulations.
Aeroflot plays an active role in its community through on-going support of charitable organisations and community events. Russia's Corporate Social Responsibility Index taking the 4th position on the list.