Chronicle of events: 1940-1948
In March Aeroflot started operating the multi-purpose An-2 of the Antonov Design Bureau.
On June 1 the Il-12, constructed by the Ilyushin Design Bureau, made its first passenger flight.
In December the CAF Pilot Training Higher School was founded in Ulyanovsk.
On May 9 the Great Patriotic War ended with victory over Nazi Germany. During the war people engaged in civil aviation made an important contribution to the victory over the enemy. Aeroflot’s six front subdivisions were reorganized into the guard units; ten were awarded with orders, twelve received honorary titles. More than twelve thousand CAF aviators were awarded with orders and medals.
On October 14 the State Defense Committee issued a Decree on the reconstruction of airports, workshops and production areas of civil aviation on the territory liberated from Nazi Germany.
On January 30 the Krasnoyarsk — Uelkal route was opened. It served regular flights between the USSR and the USA.
In November on the basis of the Civil Air Fleet,, special groups, independent regiments under the CAF were established; they were included frontline air troops.
In January training pilot squadrons for the Red Army Air Force were established in the regional administrative boards of civil aviation.
In June the Civil Air Fleet was subordinated to the People’s Defense Commissariat.
Six CAF special groups were established: North, Baltic, Byelorussian, Kiev, South-Western, Moscow and three squadrons: North, Baltic, Black Sea to provide air support for the USSR Navy units.
On September 20 the State Defence Committee entrusted the CAF to provide Leningrad with food, arms, ammunition every day during the blockade. This task was entrusted to the Moscow CAF special group.
On October 29 under the Central Administrative Board of the CAF, the Baltic Regional Administrative Board was established.